It is such a beautiful Spring Day in Auckland today! I thought what a perfect time to share another delicious recipe from Bella at Grow Cook Bake.
Asparagus, Caramelised Onion & Lentils on Cauliflower Mash
If you are craving a transitional dish for between seasons this is perfect. Fresh asparagus and watercress top caramelised onion and herbed green lentils. All served on a creamy cauliflower mash and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Serve for dinner for two or a lunch for three or four.
This recipe is: Gluten, Soy, Dairy, Refined Sugar Free and Vegan (Vegetarian option).
Dinner for two:
Dozen Asparagus spears
1 Onion, sliced
1/4c Honey Apple Cider Vinegar
6 Sage Leaves
Stalk Fresh Rosemary
240g Cooked Lentils Vert (drained weight)
3/4c Hemp Milk (Unsweetened oat or almond would also work)
Large Handful Watercress
Salt and Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (to drizzle)
Shaved Parmesan (optional)
1. Steam the cauliflower until soft. While cooking, on a low heat caramelise the onions in a heavy cast iron pan with the vinegar, a little salt and pepper and the herbs. Set to one side.
2. Cook the asparagus in the same pan as the onions, till tender and crunchy and just browned in places. Set aside and return onions to the pan along with the lentils, heat through while preparing the cauliflower
3. In a food processor or blender, combine the cauliflower, hemp milk and 1/4 tsp salt (less if you prefer) until soft and creamy and well mixed.
4. Serve the cauliflower mash, followed by the lentils and onion mix on top, asparagus then watercress.
5. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and crack a little pepper on top. Shave over a few pieces of parmesan if you like.
Grow Cook Bake
An online lifestyle magazine featuring recipes, reviews and tips from a self taught gardener, cook and baker. Passionate about great tasting food with an emphasise on growing your own and living healthily.